Same-Sex Domestic Partner
Vanderbilt offers the same benefits (health, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement) access to same-sex domestic partners as it does to opposite-sex spouses of employees. The benefits extended to children of employees are also the same (health, dental, vision, dependent tuition). In the event of a serious medical condition with a same-sex domestic partner or the partner’s child, Vanderbilt has chosen to extend the same protections provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Health, Dental and Vision
How to Enroll
- New employees: use the My VU Benefits Tool. The Benefits Overview has details.
- Current employees: You can make changes to your benefits during Open Enrollment, usually held in the fall. You can make changes outside of Open Enrollment if you have a qualifying life event, such as adding or terminating a same-sex domestic partnership. Learn more on the Family Status Change website.
To enroll your same-sex domestic partner for benefits, he or she must meet these eligibility rules:
- My partner and I are the same gender.
- My partner and I are not blood relatives.
- My partner and I are at least 21 years of age.
- My partner and I are single, not legally married to anyone else.
- My partner and I reside in a common household and share responsibility for the household.
- If my partner has a dependent child(ren) who I plan to add to my health or dental coverage, that child(ren) meets the Internal Revenue Service definition of a dependent.
- I understand there will be tax liabilities on the benefits in which I enroll my partner (more information regarding taxes shall be provided upon request).
Note that Vanderbilt conducts random dependent audits on all employees. If you are selected for an audit, you will need to verify your dependents' eligibility.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA). You can submit FSA claims for your same-sex domestic partner and his/her dependent children, but your same-sex domestic partner and dependent children should meet the IRS definition of qualifying relative. See Internal Revenue Code Section 152(d) for more information.
- Retirement Benefits. You may want to update your beneficiary designation. You can make changes anytime during the year. Learn more.
- Life Insurance. You may want to change your beneficiary designation. You can make changes anytime during the year. Learn more.
- AD&D. Family coverage can include your same-sex domestic partner. Learn more.
Contact the Employee Service Center at 615.343.7000 or email email@example.com.