Traveling with Vanderbilt Health Care
Vanderbilt provides health care coverage to benefits-eligible participants and their dependents while traveling outside the network area, whether in the United States or in a foreign country. Please see your insurance provider's section below for more information.
- Both Aetna plans (Plus or HealthFund) require that you pay the provider and then submit a claim form to Aetna.
- Foreign emergency/urgent care claims are paid at the "Tier 2" or Aetna in-network level of coverage (not at the "Tier 1" Vanderbilt and Affiliates Network level).
- Foreign non-emergency claims are paid at "Tier 3" (out-of-network).
- Download an Aetna claim form
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
- Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1.800.810.BLUE, or call collect at 1.804.673.1177, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The BlueCard Worldwide Program gives you access to a participating hospital network and referrals to doctors in major travel destinations throughout the world. You can also visit the BlueCard Worldwide website.
- If you need inpatient medical care, call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1.800.810.BLUE and they will refer you to a participating hospital. You will only be responsible for the usual out-of-pocket expense (i.e., non-covered expenses, deductible, co-payment and/or coinsurance).
- In an emergency, go to the nearest hospital and, if you are admitted, call 1.800.810.BLUE. If you use a non-BlueCard Worldwide hospital, you may have to pay the hospital and then file a claim for reimbursement. Your out-of-pocket expenses may be significantly higher.
- The BlueCard Worldwide Service Center will also provide referrals to non-BlueCard Worldwide doctors, but you will have to pay the provider and then file a claim for reimbursement.
Navitus Health Solutions (pharmacy coverage)
- If you are traveling outside the United States, your claims are paid at the out-of-network level and you will need to file a claim with Navitus.
- If you are planning an extended trip, and need more than a 90-day supply of a maintenance drug, email your itinerary and the reason for the prescription to the Employee Service Center (or deliver to HR Express, 2525 West End Avenue, 2nd floor).
- Contact Navitus at 1.866.333.2757 or www.navitus.com
- Download a Navitus claim form for a prescription purchased in a foreign country
MetLife Travel Assistance
If you purchase $10,000 or more of Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance, you are eligible for MetLife's Travel Assistance. The payroll premium for $10,000 of AD&D coverage is $.14 (14 cents) per month. MetLife's Travel Assistance includes:
- medical referrals and appointments with English speaking doctors, dentists and specialists (over 600,000 pre-qualified providers in more than 238 countries)
- emergency evacuation
- air and ground ambulance service
- trained multilingual personnel who can advise and assist you in a travel emergency
- repatriation benefit (meets the insurance requirements for international scholar visas)
Learn more by reading the MetLife Travel Assistance brochure.
Travel in the United States
- Aetna’s national network provides coverage throughout the United States.
- Make sure you use an in-network physician or facility by checking the Aetna website provider listing or calling Aetna’s customer service at 1.800.743.0910.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
- Call 1.800.810.2583 for the nearest BlueCard PPO Provider physician or hospital. Your benefits are considered in-network benefits when you use a BlueCard PPO Provider participating physician or hospital.
- Remember that you are responsible for receiving prior authorization from BlueCross. If you do not receive prior authorization, your benefits may be reduced or denied. Call the 1.800 number on your membership ID card for prior authorization. In case of emergency, you should seek immediate care from the closest health care provider.
- Show your membership ID card (with the "PPO in a suitcase" logo) to the BlueCard PPO Provider. The provider can verify your membership, eligibility and coverage with Vanderbilt's BlueCross BlueShield Plan.
- When you visit a BlueCard PPO Provider, you should not have to file a claim form. After you receive services, the provider will send your claim to BCBST for processing and then you will receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB).
- You are responsible for any applicable copayments, or your deductible and coinsurance payments (if any).
For questions about health care coverage, please contact the Employee Service Center at 343.7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.