New Staff Orientation Information for Supervisors
All new staff members of both the University and Medical Center are expected to go to You Make a Difference Orientation as soon as possible after they begin their work at Vanderbilt, preferably the first day. Benefits Orientation is additionally required for full-time, benefits-eligible staff. Registration, explained below, is required for the programs.
- Orientation Registration
- Dates and Locations
- Parking for Orientation
- Information to Provide Before New Hire's First Day
- Orientation Overview
- Employment Paperwork
- Attire for Orientation
- It’s Who We Are Medical Center Orientation
- Contact Information
- Registration is available ONLINE through the Orientation Tracking System . This system allows managers to log-in using their VUNetID and password and register employees, receiving a confirmation email with the date, time, and location of the orientation they have chosen. The registration deadline is 12:00 pm on the Thursday prior to the orientation date.
- Rehire employees returning to Vanderbilt within 12 months are not required to re-complete new hire orientations. If you have a question or concern regarding a rehire please contact the OET team.
- This online system is being used for You Make a Difference, It’s Who We Are, and other job-specific orientations. New University staff only need to attend You Make a Difference orientation. Please make sure to confirm the start time and location of each session you register your new employee for.
- Please note that your employee's registration is not complete until you receive a confirmation email. If you are registering a Medical Center employee and have questions, please contact the Service Excellence team at 322-8225. For University employees, please contact HR Organizational Effectiveness at 322-8320.
You Make a Difference orientation is offered every Monday from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 4:00 p.m. Check-in for You Make a Difference begins at 7:30 a.m., and the program starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. If your new employee is going to be later than 8:30 a.m., please contact the Organizational Effectiveness team to reschedule as registration closes after 8:30 a.m.
The main location for You Make a Difference orientation is Kensington Club (on the top floor of the Kensington Garage off 25th Avenue). Occasionally, You Make a Difference is held in the 5th floor training room of the 2525 West End Avenue building. Please check the schedule for details.
|Jan 5*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jan 12*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jan 19*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jan 26||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Feb 2*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Feb 9*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Feb 16*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Feb 23||8:00am||2525 West End Ave - 5th Floor Training Room|
|Mar 2*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Mar 9*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Mar 16||8:00am||2525 West End Ave - 5th Floor Training Room|
|Mar 23*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Mar 30||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Apr 6*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Apr 13*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Apr 20||8:00am||2525 West End Ave - 5th Floor Training Room|
|Apr 27*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|May 4||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|May 11*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|May 18*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|May 26||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jun 1*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jun 8*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jun 15||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jun 22*||8:00am||Kensington Club|
|Jun 29||8:00am||Kensington Club|
*It’s Who We Are is on the following day in Kensington Club.
View the complete 2015 Orientation Calendar
Download the complete 2015 Orientation Calendar
Parking for Orientation
If your new employee is signed up for orientation in Kensington Club
Parking is in the 25th Avenue Garage. Attendees must enter from the 25th Avenue entrance and park on the roof (level L). Note that attendees will not need a code to enter the garage as long as they enter from the 25th Avenue entrance (the gates will remain open until 9:30am). Please direct your new hire to the 25th Avenue Garage as we cannot validate parking at either the Kensington Garage or 2525 Visitors Parking Garage on these days. Once parked, attendees should walk down 25th Avenue and turn left at the signage for Vanderbilt's New Staff Orientation at the sidewalk between Memorial Gym and Kensington Garage. Elevators will be on the right and the 'Club' level should be selected in order to enter the orientation space. (See Parking Map). No pass is required, and they will not have to pay to park. Instructions are provided on the map for getting to and from orientation. If you have any questions about parking, please contact Organizational Effectiveness by email or at 322-8320.
If your new staff member is signed up for orientation in 2525 West End
ALL NEW STAFF: Parking is in the 2525 West End Visitors Parking Garage directly behind the building. Entrances are in between PF Changs & the Marriott Hotel off Natchez Trace and also behind the building on Kensington Place. We will validate new staff members' parking tickets at the front desk on the 5th floor only when orientation is scheduled to take place in the 2525 West End location. Please note: Participants' cars that are parked in the front retail parking lot (along West End) will be towed.
- Parking information for orientation
- Paperwork and identification to bring to orientation : If the new hire’s employment paperwork is not completed prior to orientation, they will need to bring several documents with them, which are listed here.
- ID Card Authorization Form: New Medical Center staff will need an ID Card Authorization Form completed and signed by the supervisor in order to obtain their ID card. The form is available on the Card Services website.
- Time clock procedures: If your new staff member will be clocking in for timekeeping, please let them know that since there is no time clock at 2525 West End, you will add in their time manually. The time clock in the Kensington Club is on the left hand side as you exit the elevator to enter the orientation space.
- Contact information: All new staff members should know their department’s name, their supervisor’s name and their supervisor’s or another contact person’s phone number. It is also helpful for them to know if they will be working for the University or for the Medical Center.
- Lunch invitation/options: Meeting your new hire for lunch or providing lunch option information is a way to make their first day special.
- Schedule for first week: You can ease your new hire’s anxiety and facilitate their integration into Vanderbilt by providing a schedule for their first week, including directions to different locations.
- Immunization records: At Tuesday's It’s Who We Are orientation, Medical Center staff will participate in a new employee evaluation by the Occupational Health Clinic. To speed up the process, let them know before Monday which immunization record copies they will need to bring, which are listed here .
The morning segment includes an introduction to Vanderbilt history and culture and presentations from Health & Wellness, the Vanderbilt Police Department, and Benefits orientation (See Benefits Information for Hiring Managers for more details). The afternoon portion of You Make a Difference begins at 1:00 p.m. and includes presentations from Compliance, Environmental Health & Safety, Information Technology Services, and HR Employee Services.
During this orientation, new staff will be asked to turn in compliance pledge cards as well as their employment paperwork, if they have not already done so in the department. The session is a good opportunity to meet fellow new colleagues and to ask questions. Since leave accruals, pay schedules and VUnetIDs are not specifically addressed during orientation, please discuss these with your new hires as soon as possible.
Lunch is not provided in this session, but the HR representatives at orientation can direct new staff members to nearby options. Another suggestion is to meet your new hire at orientation and take them to lunch, as a welcoming gesture.
All New Staff:
- Employment paperwork , including IDs for I-9 form
- Social security numbers of dependents
- Supervisor name, department name and department phone number
New Medical Center Staff:
- ID Card Authorization Form (must be signed by supervisor)
- Copies of immunization records (bring Monday to You Make a Difference Orientation)
Business casual attire or work clothes/uniform are recommended for this program. We ask that you make sure staff are aware that orientation is paid time, and therefore new staff should dress for a day at work. Discuss any other instructions with your new hire.
New Medical Center staff attend another day of orientation called It’s Who We Are. This orientation occurs on most Tuesdays in Kensington Club. Registration for this program is combined with registration for You Make a Difference. Check-in begins at 7:30 a.m., and the program runs from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
It’s Who We Are covers topics from Elevate, the name given to the Medical Center's cultural philosophy; safety; service recovery; and customer service. An executive leader begins the day with an overview of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center and its mission and expectations.
Since your new staff member will participate in an Occupational Health new employee evaluation, it is important to let them know which immunization record copies to bring. More information about which immunizations are required is available here , or you can call the Occupational Health Clinic at 936-0955.
For questions about You Make a Difference or It's Who We Are please contact the Human Resources Organizational Effectiveness Team at 322-8320.