New Staff Orientation Information for Supervisors
Important new staff orientation updates began in July. Click on the drop down for your department to learn more.
University central updates
- The Organizational Effectiveness team will enroll staff starting July 1 or later for orientation. Managers should submit their new hires' information using an online form.
- Benefits information should be reviewed online before new hires start work. Links will be included in offer and welcome letters, and orientation confirmation messages.
- Updated classroom orientation events will be held every Monday from 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., with time after to ask questions about benefits programs.
- Compliance items will be assigned to staff through the Learning Exchange to be complete online following orientation.
- Sessions will be held on the 5th floor of the 2525 West End building, unless otherwise noted in confirmation messages.
- VUnetIDs can be claimed online by new hires 48 hours after PAFs are processed – no need to wait for an invitation.
- Parking permits can be ordered online prior to orientation.
Medical Center updates
Please see 2016 Medical Center Orientation calendars for upcoming dates.
Content from both introductory training sessions (You Make a Difference and It's Who We Are) has been combined into a new half-day classroom session. Classroom orientation events will be held from 8 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., with time after to complete compliance items, get ID badges and ask questions about VUPD, VUIT, Health & Wellness and benefits programs.
- New staff orientation is held on Mondays. Orientation should be Medical center staff's first day of work.
- Orientation will be held in Kensington Club (on the top floor of the Kensington Garage off 25th Avenue).
- Recruiters enroll staff for orientation.
- New hires must attend immunization screening any Tuesday prior their start date (orientation) at the VU Recreation & Wellness Center, or schedule an appointment with Occupational Health. Details will be provided in orientation confirmation letters.
- Staff will not be able to attend orientation or begin work without completing their immunization screening or background check. See frequently asked questions about this requirement below.
- Benefits information should be reviewed online before new hires start work. Links are included in offer and welcome letters, and orientation confirmation messages.
- New hires will complete personalized compliance items in the Learning Exchange.
- VUnetIDs can be claimed online by new hires 48 hours after PAFs are processed - no need to wait for an invitation.
- Parking permits can be ordered online prior to orientation.
Rehire employees returning to Vanderbilt are required to re-complete new hire orientations. If you have a question or concern regarding a rehire please contact the OET team
Parking for Orientation
Medical Center Orientation
Parking is in the 25th Avenue Garage. Attendees must enter from the 25th Avenue entrance and park on the roof (level L). Note that attendees will not need a code to enter the garage as long as they enter from the 25th Avenue entrance (the gates will remain open until 9:30 a.m.) Please direct your new hire to the 25th Avenue Garage as we cannot validate parking at either the Kensington Garage or 2525 Visitors Parking Garage on these days. Once parked, attendees should walk down 25th Avenue and turn left at the signage for Vanderbilt's New Staff Orientation at the sidewalk between Memorial Gym and Kensington Garage. Elevators will be on the right and the 'Club' level should be selected in order to enter the orientation space.(See Parking Map). No pass is required, and they will not have to pay to park. Instructions are provided on the map for getting to and from orientation. If you have any questions about parking, please contact Organizational Effectiveness by email or at 615.322.8320.
University central Orientation
Parking is in the 2525 West End Visitors Parking Garage directly behind the building. Entrances are in between PF Changs & the Marriott Hotel off Natchez Trace and also behind the building on Kensington Place. We will validate new staff members' parking tickets at the front desk on the 5th floor only when orientation is scheduled to take place in the 2525 West End location. Please note: Participants' cars that are parked in the front retail parking lot (along West End) will be towed.
- Time, date and location of orientation
- Parking information for orientation
- Paperwork and identification to bring to orientation : If the new hire’s employment paperwork is not completed prior to orientation, they will need to bring several documents with them, which are listed here.
- Benefits information : New hires should review benefits online before their first day.
- ID Card Authorization Form: New Medical Center staff will need an ID Card Authorization Form completed and signed by the supervisor in order to obtain their ID card. The form is available on the Card Services website.
- Time clock procedures: If your new staff member will be clocking in for timekeeping, please let them know that since there is no time clock at 2525 West End, you will add in their time manually. The time clock in the Kensington Club is on the left hand side as you exit the elevator to enter the orientation space.
- Contact information: All new staff members should know their department’s name, their supervisor’s name and their supervisor’s or another contact person’s phone number. It is also helpful for them to know if they will be working for the University or for the Medical Center
- Schedule for first week: You can ease your new hire's anxiety and facilitate their integration into Vanderbilt by providing a schedule for their first week, including directions to different locations.
All New Staff:
- Employment paperwork , including IDs for I-9 form
- Social security numbers of dependents
- Supervisor name, department name and department phone number
New Medical Center Staff:
Business casual attire or work clothes/uniform are recommended for this program. We ask that you make sure staff are aware that orientation is paid time, and therefore new staff should dress for a day at work. Discuss any other instructions with your new hire.
For questions about university central or Medical Center orientation, please contact the Human Resources Organizational Effectiveness Team at 615.322.8320.
Frequently asked questions about pre-boarding requirements
What items are considered pre-boarding requirements?
- Background check, and
- Immunizations and tuberculin (TB) testing.
- How do new hires complete immunization requirements?
What immunizations are required to start work at VUMC?
Current immunization and testing requirements are listed on the Occupational Health All Aboard webpage.
Is the start date always the first day of orientation?
Yes, for the best new hire experience, all VUMC staff should attend orientation as their first day of work. This program connects to departmental onboarding and is important to get the foundations as well as the transactions complete before starting in the job. This requirement does not apply to new University central hires.
What if new hires do not complete immunization requirements prior to their start date?
New hires that do not complete immunizations by the Thursday before their scheduled Monday start/orientation date will be contacted by HR and notified that their orientation has been rescheduled for the next available orientation date. The new hire must complete their immunization screening prior to the rescheduled start date.
How many times can a new hire be rescheduled due to non-compliance with immunizations?
New hires can be rescheduled one time. If their second confirmed start date arrives and they are still not compliant with immunizations and testing, Vanderbilt reserves the right to rescind offers if requirements are not met. If an offer is rescinded, HR will notify the employee and update PeopleSoft and other records.
What if I have a clinical hire that also needs to attend Clinical Orientation is not offered the week that they want to start?
New hires that need to complete Clinical Orientation before being scheduled for clinical work need to complete it following VUMC Orientation. Managers should work with their recruiters to select a start date that falls before the next available clinical orientation. Clinical Orientation is offered bi-weekly.
What about staff that already started working and are non-compliant, if they are rescheduled for orientation can they keep working?
During the month of August, HR recognizes that some employees received committed offers of start dates that preceded the new orientation format and may have started work prior to attending orientation. All orientation attendees will be vetted for compliance the Thursday before orientation. If an employee has started work and is non-compliant, they will be asked to complete their immunizations first and attend orientation prior to returning to work.
If a new hire is rescheduled for VUMC orientation and they also need to attend clinical orientation is their clinical orientation also rescheduled?
Yes, new hires must attend VUMC Orientation, followed by Clinical Orientation, they cannot attend them in the reverse order because clinical systems training is only offered on Mondays.
If a new hire believes that there is an error with their immunization records, who do they contact to rectify it?
Occupational Health Clinic
1211 21st Ave. South
Suite 640 Medical Arts Building
Nashville, TN 37212
If a new hire refuses a required immunization, can they still start work?
- New hires and employees that refuse immunizations on medical or religious grounds must submit an exemption request through Occupational Health. Each request is reviewed by an exemption committee and an employment start date cannot be scheduled until the exemption has been reviewed and a determination issued.
- Exemption reviews may further delay an employee’s start date.
If a start date is rescheduled, who will notify payroll to update the PAF/PeopleSoft record?
HR will communicate with Medical Center Payroll related to any changes to an employee’s HR record based on non-compliance with immunizations or background checks. Managers will not need to submit an additional PAF to change the new hire's start date.