Skip to main content

Health Reimbursement Account




The Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), formerly called the "Flexible Reimbursement Account," was a health care reimbursement account for faculty and staff whose employment began on or before December 31, 2004.

In November 2016, the University decided to phase out the $25 per month ($300 per year) Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) and replaced it with a base salary increase for eligible employees. As of this January 2017, the University is no longer making monthly contributions to the HRA plan. Employees with funds remaining in their HRA accounts must use them up according to this schedule: 

Active Employee HRA Timeline
Balance (as of Jan. 1, 2017) Funds must be used by: Claims must be filed by:
$500 or less March 15, 2018 April 15, 2018
$501 - $1,000 March 15, 2019 April 15, 2019
$1,001 - $2,500 March 15, 2020 April 15, 2020
$2,501 - $5,000 March 15, 2021 April 15, 2021
More than $5,000 March 15, 2022 April 15, 2022

Employees can continue to use their Benefit Express debit cards or file claims online to use up funds.

If, at any time, an employee waives the Health Plan or returns to work at Vanderbilt after any employment gap, any remaining HRA funds will be lost.

How to Submit a Claim

You can submit a claim online, by fax or by email.


  1. Online using the My VU Benefits. Log in with your VUnetID and ePassword and then click on "View My Reimbursement Account."
  2. Fax a receipt and the FSA Claim Form to 1.253.793.3766. You can find the FSA Claim Form online in Reimbursement Accounts (FSA/HRA) on your MyVU Benefits home page.
  3. Email a FSA Claim Form with receipts to

How are claims paid if you have both a Health FSA and the HRA?
When you file a claim (or swipe the health care card at the point of service), the first money that is accessed to pay for the eligible expense comes from your FSA. At the point during the year that you use all of the money in your Health FSA, then funds would come from your HRA. Paper claim forms for the health care FSA and HRA are the same.

Submitting Claims - End of Employment

HRA funds must be used on or before your termination date.  However, you have until April of the following year to submit those claims.

Claims must be incurred prior to the end of the run-out periods described above. You can still use the Reimbursement Request Form and submit your claims to Benefit Express by the deadlines outlined in the table. To obtain claim forms and review your balance you must register at For tips on registering click here.


Benefit Express

IRS Information


Contact Information

Benefit Express
Customer Service: 1.877.837.5017


updated 5/5/2017