Health Reimbursement Account
The Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), formerly called the "Flexible Reimbursement Account," was a health care reimbursement account for faculty and staff whose employment began on or before December 31, 2004.
In November 2016, the University decided to phase out the $25 per month ($300 per year) Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) and replaced it with a base salary increase for eligible employees. As of this January 2017, the University is no longer making monthly contributions to the HRA plan. Employees with funds remaining in their HRA accounts must use them up according to this schedule:
Employees can continue to use their Benefit Express debit cards or file claims online to use up funds.
If, at any time, an employee waives the Health Plan or returns to work at Vanderbilt after any employment gap, any remaining HRA funds will be lost.
End of Employment
Employees with a balance in the HRA whose employment has ended have 2 options:
1. Enroll in the COBRA Health Plan, and elect COBRA HRA which has a $15 a month administration fee. This option grants you access to your HRA balance as long you are enrolled in COBRA Health Plan coverage provided it doesn't exceed the original end date given to you as an active employees per the table above.
2. If you choose not to elect COBRA HRA, you will have the lesser of 6 months from the date your employment ends or the original end date given to you as an active employees per the table above.
How to Submit a Claim
You can submit a claim online, by fax or by email.
- Online using the My VU Benefits. Log in with your VUnetID and ePassword and then click on "View My Reimbursement Account."
- Fax a receipt and the FSA Claim Form to 1.253.793.3766. You can find the FSA Claim Form online in Reimbursement Accounts (FSA/HRA) on your MyVU Benefits home page.
- Email a FSA Claim Form with receipts to email@example.com
How are claims paid if you have both a Health FSA and the HRA?
When you file a claim (or swipe the health care card at the point of service), the first money that is accessed to pay for the eligible expense comes from your FSA. At the point during the year that you use all of the money in your Health FSA, then funds would come from your HRA. Paper claim forms for the health care FSA and HRA are the same.
Submitting Claims - End of Employment
Claims must be incurred prior to the end of the run-out periods described above. You can still use the Reimbursement Request Form and submit your claims to Benefit Express by the deadlines outlined in the table. To obtain claim forms and review your balance you must register at myfsaexpress.com. For tips on registering click here.
- Publication 502 "Medical and Dental Expenses"
- Publication 969 "Health Spending Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Plans"
Customer Service: 1.877.837.5017