Vanderbilt University Commodore Award
The Vanderbilt University Commodore Award is presented to full-time regular staff members who have made significant contributions to Vanderbilt University’s pursuit of excellence in education, research and community service.
The Commodore Award will be presented each year at the annual Service Award Ceremony. The recipient will receive a cash award of $2,500 and an engraved crystal bowl.
Regular full-time staff members holding positions below the director or department head level with at least five years of consecutive Vanderbilt University service may be nominated for the award. Previous recipients of the Commodore Award may not win a second time.
Nominations are accepted Oct 1- Nov 15 of each year. Divisional/Department Point People, using a link to the online nomination application form, describe how the nominee achieved one or more of the following:
- Overall performance and accomplishments that regularly and consistently far exceed performance expectations, reflecting a high level of service, dedication, conscientiousness, compassion and applied skill.
- Handling a high impact or critical situation which had important consequences for a department, Vanderbilt University or the community.
- Developing or improving processes that resulted in significant productivity and/or cost savings improvements.
The University Commodore Award Selection Committee is appointed by the Chief Human Resource Officer and consists of five to seven members including the committee chair. The committee includes the previous year’s winner and representatives from staff, administration and faculty. The committee chair will be a dean or department head. Any questions regarding eligibility of a nominee will be determined by the committee chair. A representative from Human Resources will serve as ex officio on the committee and facilitate the committee’s review work.
- Sept. 1 – Sept. 20 - formation of Selection Committee
- Sept. 20 – Sept. 30 - divisional/department point people receive an email announcing a call for nominations, myVU articles released
- Oct. 1 – Nov. 15 - nomination process open, submissions accepted
- Nov. 15 – Dec. 1 - selection committee chooses recipients, chancellor approval process
- Dec. 1 – Dec. 15 – nominees announced in myVU
How to submit nominations for the Commodore Award
Regular full-time staff members holding positions below the director or department head level with at least five years of consecutive Vanderbilt University service may be nominated for the Commodore award. Previous recipients of the Commodore Award may not win a second time . Nominations must be submitted using the online nomination application form.
Online Nomination Form
You will have a minimum of 1,000 characters and a maximum of 3,000 characters to provide information about your nominee for each of the following areas. It is important to make every word count. Assume the selection committee knows nothing about your nominee, therefore provide as much detail as possible.
1) Please provide a summary including specific examples of why you believe this person should win the 2018 Commodore Award.
2) Provide a brief description of typical job duties and describe how your nominee goes above and beyond their normal duties. Include community service and volunteer programs.
3) Please give specific examples of how your nominee meets 1 or more of the following criteria:*
a) Overall performance and accomplishments that regularly and consistently far exceed performance expectations, reflecting a high level of service, dedication, conscientiousness, compassion and applied skill.
b) Handling a high impact or critical situation which had important consequences for a department, Vanderbilt University or the community.
c) Developing or improving processes that resulted in significant productivity and/or cost savings improvements.
4) Please explain how your nominee serves as a role model or a mentor for others. Give examples of professional development and accomplishments. Show how he/she impacts the University.
5) Please describe how your nominee upholds Vanderbilt’s Mission, Goals, and Values.*
Division/Department point people will receive a link to the online nomination application form prior to Oct 1. Please use the online nomination application form to submit your candidate for the Commodore Award Oct 1 - Nov 15. If you have any questions, please contact Scott Glasgow at firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 Commodore Award Winners
|2017||Danny McKissack||Grounds Maintenance|
|2017||Lilliana Rodriguez||Spanish and Portuguese|
|2016||Karen Page||School of Engineering|
|2015||Judy Brandon||Office of Dean of Students|
|2014||Clair Gant||Edgehill Child & Family Center|
|2013||Rosemary Moody||Leadership, Policy and Organization|
|2012||Tonya Mills||Political Science|
|2011||Paula McGown||Health and Wellness Administration|
|2010||Peggy Chatfield||Kennedy Center|
|2009||Mouzon Siddiqi||Grad Program, Economic Development|
|2008||Sandy Childress||Physics and Astronomy|
|2007||Rocky Alvey||Dyer Observatory|
|2006||Donald Pickert||Physics and Astronomy|
|2005||Patricia Kinman||Occupational Health|
|2004||Danny Anglin||Environmental Health & Safety|
|2003||Don Hughes Sr.||Plant Operations|
|2002||Beverly Brothers||Student Athletics-Support Staff|
|2001||Edwyna Griscom||Student Athletics|
|Betty Lee||Student Academic Services|
|2000||Ginette Cambronero||Edgehill Child & Family Center|
|1999||Bill Storey||Molecular Biology|
|1997||Gail Lance||University Registrar Office|
|1995||Brenda Jordan||Arts & Science Registrar|
|1994||Lorine Spencer||Residential & Judicial Affairs/Housing Administration|
|Mary Scott||University Payroll|
|1993||Jan Hargett||Teaching and Learning, Peabody Dean’s Office|
|Pat Millwood||Student Organization, Campus Student Services|
|Donnie W. Campbell|
|Gail Workman||University Library|
|William Ross||Mail Services|