FMLA/TMLA: Birth of Child
The following resources will help you move through the process for an FMLA and/or Tennessee Maternity Leave Act (TMLA) application for birth of a child. If you have questions about the FMLA process, contact your FMLA Coordinator at 615-343-4125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience complications prior to the birth of a child, see the Complications Prior to Birth of a Child webpage.
Step 1: FMLA/TMLA Request
You may complete the online Medical Leave Request Form to request FMLA and/or TMLA.
Step 2: FMLA/TMLA Eligibility and Approval or Denial
Your FMLA Coordinator will provide your notice of rights and responsibilities, approval letter, and additional materials upon completion of step 1 above.
If you are a privileged provider or hold clinical privileges, you must notify Provider Support Services (PSS) of your FMLA approval. Once you receive your approval letter, email your full name and dates of absence to email@example.com.
Step 3: While on FMLA/TMLA
- Benefits Information While on Leave (also see FAQs about benefits while on leave)
- FAQ: Birth or Adoption
- Child and Family Center Resources
Pay While on Leave
- PTO Policy and FAQs
- Parental Leave Policy and FAQs
- Short-term disability webpage and FAQs
- Legacy Sick Time Policy
Sample Timelines for Paid Leave
- For birth mother
- For birth father
- Example 1: For birth mother with buy-up short-term disability, but without accrued legacy sick time
- Example 2: For birth mother with buy-up short-term disability and accrued legacy sick time