Skip to main content

Employee Immigration Services

The Office of Employee Immigration Services establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with University administrators and employees by providing them information and advice on immigration matters to ensure the University and its international faculty, researchers, and staff are in compliance with the regulations of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Department of State (DOS), and the Department of Labor (DOL)

Hiring a foreign national employee differs significantly from hiring a U.S. citizen, and requires the University to obtain employment authorization in the form of an employment-based visa before the individual can work in the U.S. OIS will assist with obtaining the visa, working in conjunction with Vanderbilt’s contracted immigration law firm. The information on this site applies to hiring foreign nationals for faculty, research, and staff positions only, and applies to the H-1B, TN, O-1, and E-3 employment-based temporary worker visa categories as well as the permanent resident "green card" process.  For information regarding foreign national student employees (F-1 and J-1), please contact  International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).  Additionally, this office handles only University immigration matters.  All VUMC immigration matters are handled by VUMC Immigration Services Office.

To join the Vanderbilt Immigration Listserv, please send a request to

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided as a service to the international faculty, professional staff, employees and administrators of Vanderbilt University, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter.