Skip to main content

International Tax Topics

International Students, Scholars/Researchers, Professional Employees and Guests

International Tax FAQs

Vanderbilt uses an online database called GLACIER to collect information to make a tax assessment.  GLACIER is the secure online database used to collect and manage tax information for all international persons receiving payment from Vanderbilt.

When the International Tax Office (ITO) is notified that you will be receiving payments, we will send you an email with instructions to access GLACIER. You will receive an email from which will contain your GLACIER access codes.  You must complete the GLACIER questionnaire, then print and sign the completed forms. You can send the forms by regular postal mail or scan and email them and any listed copies of immigration documents to the address listed in the GLACIER instructions. If you have problems completing GLACIER please contact

There are three federal taxes that are paid in the USA:  Social Security Tax, Medicare Tax, and Income Tax.  Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax together are referred to as FICA.

F-1 and J-1 students are exempt from FICA taxes for the first 5 calendar years of status.  Additionally, in certain situations, if an F-1 or J-1 continues to be a student for more than 5 years, they can continue to receive the FICA exemption.  J-1 non-students (researchers, professors, trainees, etc.) are exempt from FICA taxes for the first two calendar years of J-1 status.

Income tax is paid unless there is an Income Tax Treaty between your country of tax residence and the US that exempts you from paying income tax.  Note that your country of tax residence may be different than your country of birth or country of citizenship.  The country of tax residence is the country you resided in for at least one year immediately before coming to the US.  When you complete GLACIER, you will be informed if there is a tax treaty that can be applied to exempt you from income tax.

Yes.  Your GLACIER record must remain accurate as changes to your personal information may affect your tax withholding and exemptions.  Be sure to update changes to your address, compensation type, immigration status, and anything else that changes that is part of your GLACIER entry.  This includes your departure date(s) from the U.S.

  1. If you have a job, receive a paycheck and don't have a tax treaty benefit you will receive a W-2 at the end of the year.
  2. If you have a job, receive a paycheck and do have a tax treaty benefit you will receive a 1042-S at the end of the year. If your tax treaty has a limit, you may also receive a W-2.
  3. If you had a reportable stipend, whether taxable or tax treaty exempt, you will receive a 1042- S.
  4. If you had any other types of reportable payments such as Subject participation or prizes/awards, you will receive a 1042-S.
  5. If you had a job with no tax treaty exemption and other reportable income in the same year, you will receive both a W-2 and a 1042-S.

The W-2 is mailed no later than Jan. 31 of each year.  Be sure your address is correct in the payroll system before the end of the year so that your W-2 is sent to the correct address.  You may access your W-2 online in Oracle.

The 1042-S is made available electronically or mailed no later than March 15 of each year.  When you enroll in GLACIER you can request electronic delivery of the 1042-S and it will be available 24 hours/day in your GLACIER account.  We recommend that you request electronic delivery when you set up your GLACIER account.

If you believe your taxes are wrong, please send an email to explaining why you believe your taxes have been calculated incorrectly. We will review the information and the IRS tax regulations and provide you with an explanation. If a correction is needed, we will explain how the correction will be made. If necessary, an appointment will be scheduled.

Vanderbilt’s International Tax Office  cannot provide personal tax assistance with annual tax filings. We can provide you with information regarding community resources that provide taxpayer assistance. Vanderbilt uses web-based tax preparation software, GLACIER TAX PREP, to assist nonresident aliens with their tax return preparation. This information is provided by e-mail in March of each year. Please keep in mind that nonresident aliens cannot file their taxes using the IRS Free File option.

If you were hired as an employee to receive hourly wages or monthly salary, you are required to get a Social Security number.  Stipend recipients will apply for an ITIN if they have not ever received U.S. sourced wage payments. 

You are required to apply for an SSN upon being hired by Vanderbilt. You will need to contact the ISSS office first to get a form for you and your department manager to complete for your appointment. Complete the SSN application and take it to your appointment with the ISSS form and your original immigration documents. Please follow the calling instructions below to get your appointment scheduled as soon as possible. The local office number is 877-808-5461. Hit prompts 2 and 0 to leave your contact information with an agent. They will call you back with an appointment date.

You will just need to log into your Glacier record and add your SSN by following this link

Step through each page until you reach the end of your record.  Save, sign and return your Tax Summary Report and W-4 to via Google Drive or OneDrive.  *You may have additional documents to sign and return if you have the option to choose a tax treaty exemption.

You will also need to update your I-9.  Please email with your information so they can update their records.  

To update your student record with your SSN, please email URO for guidance at  Please never email your SSN.  This should be done via a secure method provided by each area.

All International employees, students and guests receiving US sourced payments from Vanderbilt are required to complete a Glacier record regardless of your U.S. tax residency status.  If you are a Legal Permanent resident or a naturalized citizen, you will not required to complete a Glacier record.

back to top