Flexible Spending Accounts
IRS allows 2020 Dependent Care FSA mid-year changes.
Due to COVID-19, the IRS is allowing employees who face changes in their dependent care situation to qualify as a “change in status.” Therefore, employees may increase, decrease or stop funds from being deposited into a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA). Read more here.
- FSA Overview
- How to enroll
- How to submit a claim
- How to set up direct deposit for FSA reimbursements
- End of employment
- Contact information
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) enable you to set aside some of your pay, on a pre-tax basis, into an account to pay for eligible health care or dependent care expenses. "Pre-tax" means you do not pay federal income or FICA taxes on the amount of money you put in the FSA. You save money by paying less tax. For reimbursement from your FSA account(s), you submit a claim form and required documentation to the spending account administrator, Benefit Express.
There are two types of Flexible Spending Accounts at Vanderbilt:
- Health Care FSA reimburses items such as eyeglasses, copayments, prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs — any eligible health care expenses that are not covered by a benefit plan. The annual election minimums and maximums are $104 to $2,750 per employee. If both spouses work, both can claim $2,750.
- Dependent Day Care FSA reimburses the cost of day care expenses for your children (under the age of 13) or other eligible dependents. The day care must be used as a means to allow you and/or your spouse to be gainfully employed. The annual election minimums and maximums for Dependent Day Care FSA are $104 to $2,500 per employee. If both spouses work, both can claim $2,500 - for a total household limit of $5,000.
The money contributed to your FSA account must be used during the calendar year; it does not carry over from year to year. You do have a grace period in which you are allowed additional time to incur claims for reimbursement. This grace period allows participants to incur claims up until March 15 of the following plan year. Money not used will be forfeited. Please plan your election amount carefully.
If you are on an unpaid leave and have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), your payroll contributions will stop until you return to work. Upon return to work, the remaining FSA election will be recalculated based on remaining payrolls.
How to enrollFor New Employees
If you want to enroll in an FSA, you must enroll within three months of your hire date. Then your FSA start date will be the first day of the month following 90 days of eligible employment. You can file and be reimbursed for claims for eligible services received on or after your FSA start date. Payroll deductions begin upon the first paycheck after eligibility. For example, if you were hired on July 10, your payroll deductions would start with your November paycheck. The amount you elect will be deducted evenly from each paycheck for that year, beginning with the first paycheck after three months of employment.
For Current Employees
To continue an FSA each calendar year, you must request FSA enrollment during the benefits Open Enrollment period each fall. The FSA start date will be January 1 of the next calendar year. You can file and be reimbursed for claims for eligible services received on or after your FSA start date. Payroll deductions begin upon the first paycheck after eligibility.
How to submit a claim
Benefit Express is Vanderbilt’s FSA and HRA vendor. There are three ways to submit your FSA claim:
- Online using the My VU Benefits. Log in with your VUnetID and ePassword and then click on "View My Reimbursement Account."
- Fax a receipt and the FSA Claim Form to 1.253.793.3766. You can find the FSA Claim Form online in Reimbursement Accounts (FSA/HRA) on your MyVU Benefits home page.
- Email a FSA Claim Form with receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to set up direct deposit for FSA reimbursements
How to enroll
- Log into My VU Benefits and click on “Library” in the top bar.
- Select “FSA – GENERAL” and you should see the FSA Direct Deposit Authorization form listed first in the menu.
- Click on the link to download the form to your computer.
- Print, complete and mail it to Vanderbilt’s FSA administrator, Benefit Express. If you choose to direct deposit your reimbursements into a checking account, you should include a voided check with your completed form.
FSA Direct Deposit FAQs
How often are direct deposit reimbursements processed?
Direct deposit reimbursement claims are processed daily.
Once processed, how long will it be before my direct deposit is issued?
There is typically a one week turnaround. For claims submitted on Wednesdays, there is a possible 10- day turnaround.
Once my direct deposit is issued, when will the money be in my account?
Your money should be in your account within one to two business days, depending on your bank.
After I set up direct deposit, when will it take effect?
It will take effect within a week of Benefit Express receiving your form. Please note: If you submit a direct deposit form and a reimbursement on the same day, you may receive a check for that claim, but going forward, you will be reimbursed via direct deposit unless you note otherwise.
End of employment - Submitting Claims
If your employment with Vanderbilt ends, you may still submit claims to be reimbursed. However the claims must be incurred prior to your end of employment date. You can still use the Flexible Spending Account Reimbursement Request Form and submit your claims to Benefit Express by the deadline of the run-out period, which is April 15. To obtain claim forms and review your balance you must register at myfsaexpress.com . For tips on registering click here .
- IRS 2 1/2 Month Extension for FSAs
- Notice for Highly Compensated Faculty and Staff with Dependent Day Care FSAs
- IRS Publication 502 "Medical and Dental Expenses"
- IRS Publication 503 "Child and Dependent Care Expenses"
- IRS Publication 969 "Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-favored Plans" (refer to Publication 969's page 14 for our FSA and page 15 for our HRA)
Customer Service: 1.877.837.5017