Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985
This federal law amended the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, and the Public Health Services Act to require most employers maintaining group health plans to offer employees, their spouses, and their dependents the opportunity to elect continuation coverage, on a self-pay basis, for 18, 29, or 36 months, depending on the qualifying event.
- Read the Notification of COBRA Rights
- Frequently Asked Questions about COBRA
- See COBRA rates for 2020 & 2021 (VUnetID required).
COBRA permits plan sponsors to charge qualified beneficiaries 100 percent of the cost of the coverage, plus an additional 2 percent. In the case of a qualified beneficiary entitled to 29 months of COBRA coverage resulting from disability, the plan sponsor generally can charge 150 percent of the cost of coverage for the additional 11 months.
Contact information related to your COBRA health and/or dental vendor is provided below. This contact information should be utilized for assistance with the following:
- Obtaining answers related to specific claims or claim payments
- Obtaining a replacement identification card
Health Care Carriers
- Aetna - 800.743.0910 or www.aetna.com
- Aetna Choice: Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- Aetna Select: Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC)
- Navitus - 866.333.2757 or www.navitus.com
- Delta Dental of TN - https://tennessee.deltadental.com/ or 800.223.3104
- Dental Vision/ VSP - vsp.com or 800.877.7195