Health Care Plan
Benefits-eligible employees can choose between two health options, which are administered by Aetna: Choice CHDP and Select PPO. Health benefits begin on your hire date, or the first date you become eligible. Monthly premiums are not prorated. Click here to view the evidence of coverage booklets (most detailed information), summaries of benefits and coverage (SBCs), and other documentation for each option. Click on the links below for the provider directory and administrators' web sites. Also see the Health Care Plan Summary Plan Description.
While we try to provide accurate information, this is summary information and as such, certain details and qualifying information is not included. If any information provided here varies from the official plan documents, the plan document prevails.
Prescription Drug Benefit
Both health plan options include Prescription Drug Benefit coverage, but costs apply differently, depending on which plan you choose. Navitus Health Solutions administers the prescription drug benefit for all Vanderbilt faculty and staff enrolled in either health plan option.
Preventive Care Program. Both health plan options include a comprehensive Preventive Care Program that covers such things as annual well-checkups and well-baby visits for covered dependents.
Applied Behavior Analysis for Autism Spectrum Disorder. The Select PPO Vanderbilt Health Plan option includes coverage for Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Refer to the Evidence of Coverage Booklet for more information.
Tobacco Cessation Benefit. Vanderbilt helps to pay for a tobacco cessation program for employees and their dependents covered on the health plan. Learn more.
Health Care Plan Eligibility
See Benefits Eligibility for details on who can enroll in health care coverage.
Aetna automatically issues health insurance cards for the ‘default’ health plan option (Aetna Plus plan at the 'employee-only' coverage tier) to new fully benefits-eligible employees. To elect another health plan option and/or to cover eligible family members, you must complete New Hire Enrollment in My VU Benefits within 30 days of your hire or eligibility date (see "How to Enroll" below). If you elect another health plan option, you may disregard the Aetna Plus card. If you choose the Aetna Plus health plan option, keep the card for your use.
Vanderbilt Health Plan coverage for partially benefits-eligible employees is optional. You will not be automatically enrolled in a default health plan option.
Health benefits begin on your hire date, or the first date you are eligible. The monthly cost of the health plan is not pro-rated.
Special Enrollment Rights under CHIPRA. The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA) was enacted by the United States federal government on February 4, 2009. CHIPRA created new special enrollment rights effective April 1, 2009. CHIPRA extended the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) through 2013 and renamed it the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Learn more about CHIP. The special enrollment rights under CHIPRA allow the following for qualified Vanderbilt Group Health Plan members:
- If you or your dependent become eligible for state-granted premium assistance, or, you or your dependent's coverage terminates due to a loss of eligibility (as opposed to termination due to failure to pay premiums) under Medicaid, Tennessee's CoverKids program, or a State Children’s Health Insurance Plan, you may enroll in the Vanderbilt Group Health Plan. You must request coverage within 60 days of this special-enrollment qualifying event by making a Family Status Change.
- If your dependent becomes eligible to receive a premium subsidy from the Child Health Insurance Program, you will be allowed under CHIPRA to disenroll (drop) your dependent from the Vanderbilt Group Health Plan. You must request this coverage change within 60 days of this special-enrollment qualifying event by making a Family Status Change.
How to Enroll
To enroll, use My VU Benefits within 30 days of your hire date:
- Go to My VU Benefits and log in with your VUnetID and ePassword
- Make your benefits selections
- Print your benefits enrollment receipt and keep it for your records
- Decision-making tools: PLANselect
- Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network (VHAN)
- VHAN Quick Care (Find a Doctor or Walk-In Clinic)
- Aetna Claim Form
- Uniform Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms
- Traveling with Vanderbilt Health Care
- Program for LGBTI Health
- Form 1095-C Information
Links to Vendors
Aetna online provider directory
- Phone: 800.743.0910
Navitus (prescription benefit)
- Phone: 866.333.2757
Go for the Gold
For complete details of the Health Care Plan, refer to the Summary Plan Description.