Skip to main content

Hiring International Students

Steps for Hiring International Students

International students are not eligible for the Federal Work Study (FWS) program and may only work under the Institutional Employment (IE) program. If the student has not found a position but would like to search for one, you may refer them to the HireADore job bank to peruse a list of available positions or refer them to this website.

International students working at VUMC are restricted to positions that serve Vanderbilt University academics or directly serve students.

New International Student employees , once a position is offered, all international students should take the following steps:

  • You will need to complete a Glacier Access Request form for all new student employees.
  • If the student does not have a social security number:
    1. You will use their Registrar assigned PHN to hire them in Oracle with. Please do not complete a PHN request form for students.
    2. The student will need to complete a SSN application and contact their ISSS advisor for an additional form to be completed by them and their supervisors.
    3. They will take both forms along with copies of their immigration documents to the local IRS office to obtain a SSN.    *Please be sure to get a receipt of the new student's SSN application for student employment.

The closest office to Vanderbilt is:
View Larger Map


W-4:   Glacier will provide the W-4 form needed once they complete their Glacier record.   

  • I-9: For I-9 completion and process information, please refer to their I-9 Information page.
  • International students are limited to working 19 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Full-time employment (20-40 hours per week) is allowed during vacation periods and Summer for enrolled and continuing students.