Skip to main content

International Students, Scholars/Researchers, Professional Employees and Guests

Welcome to Vanderbilt University. 

If you are not a U.S. person and you are receiving ANY type of payment from Vanderbilt, please contact the International Tax Office (ITO) .  Please let your department  know that you are an international and that there may be necessary additional steps taken to pay you correctly. 

Individuals who live temporarily in the United States in non-immigrant status are known by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) as nonresident aliens. The most common non-immigrant statuses found at Vanderbilt are F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, H-1B, and TN.  International visitors are usually in B1/B2 status or may participate in the Visa Waiver Program. 

For IRS (Internal Revenue Service) purposes, "If you are an alien (not a U.S. citizen), you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet one of two tests: the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year (January 1 – December 31). If you do not meet either the Green Card Test or the Substantial Presence Test, then you are a nonresident alien.”

The ITO uses a secure online tax compliance software ("GLACIER") to capture the information required to determine the actual tax status of an international person.  All international persons who are not US Residents (see definitions above) and who are receiving payments from Vanderbilt University are required to have a GLACIER record.  Therefore, a GLACIER record is required even if an international employee, student, scholar or visitor meets the definition of a "Resident Aliens for Tax Purposes." 

Common payments to students  

IRS Information

General Information    Employment Topics