I-9 at Vanderbilt
Department of Homeland Security grants remote I-9 verification during COVID-19 national emergency
Employers with employees taking physical proximity precautions due to COVID-19will not be required to review the employee’s identity and employment authorization documents in the employee’s physical presence. Employers and employees must follow the following guidelines:
- Employee must complete Section 1 of form I-9 on or before the first day of employment.
- Employee must submit the Section 2 document(s) remotely via webcam, followed by secure email or directly by secure email. The HR Pre-Employment Coordinator will facilitate this process with each individual.
- Vanderbilt must obtain, inspect, and retain copies of the documents, within three business days of the start of employment for purposes of completing Section 2.
- Vanderbilt must provide written documentation of their remote onboarding and telework policy for each employee that is onboarded using remote verification.
- Once normal operations resume, all employees who were onboarded using remote verification, must report to their employer within three business days for in-person verification of identity and employment eligibility documentation for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification..
This process may be used for 60 days from March 20, 2020 or within 3 business days after the termination of the National Emergency, whichever comes first.
Please contact the HR Pre-Employment Coordinator at I9@vanderbilt.edu or 615.936.6381 with any questions or to complete Section 2 remotely.
To comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Vanderbilt is required to verify the identity and employment eligibility of new employees or employees assigned to a covered federal contract.
All employees at Vanderbilt University are required to complete Federal Form I-9 on or before their first day of employment. Completion of the I-9 form is an easy two-step process that involves providing basic, personal information, online through a secure web form and presenting original documents, confirming your identity and employment eligibility, in person to an HR representative to complete the process.
New Employees: How to Complete an I-9
If you do not receive the email, or if you have difficulty accessing the link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gather documentation that establishes your identity and employment authorization. See a list of acceptable documents.
Take your original, unexpired documents to the Human Resources office on or before your first day of employment. You can complete your I-9 any time before your start date, as long as you have accepted an offer of employment.
Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you are working remotely or will not be able to complete your I-9 by your first day of employment, please contact email@example.com.
If you work remotely or will not be able to complete the I-9 within three days of your date of hire, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.