Please note, due to COVID-19, Human Resources staff members are working remotely, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
1. I don't think I need to complete an I-9. Who do I contact to find out if I need to do this?
2. I started getting paid on Monday. When do I need to have my I-9 completed?
You will need to complete Section 1 of the I-9 no later than Monday. You will need to complete Section 2 of your I-9 by Wednesday (within three business days from your hire date).
3. I recently got married but I have not changed my name with Social Security Administration. Which name should I use to fill out my Form I-9?
You should use the name that is listed on your Social Security card. When you update your name with Social Security Administration (see Question 10 for the office's location), bring your updated SSN card to HR Express (Baker Building, 10th floor, 110 21st Ave. S.) to update your Form I-9. Please note that you cannot use a receipt from Social Security Administration; you will need the actual card.
4. I lost my Social Security card and I can't find my birth certificate. My passport has expired. The only document I have is a driver's license. Will that work?
No, a driver's license alone will not work. You need to provide a driver's license and a document from List C of the Acceptable Documents list. Please note that we can only accept unexpired documents. You can apply for a replacement Social Security card from the Social Security Administration office (see Question 10 for the office's location) or you can apply for a replacement birth certificate from the Tennessee Vital Records department (see Question 11 for the office's location). When you apply, you will get a replacement receipt; this will allow you to start your I-9. Then, when you receive your new Social Security card or the certified copy of your birth certificate, you can bring these documents to Human Resources (Baker Building, 10th floor, 110 21st Ave. S.) to complete your Form I-9. If you don't receive your replacement document within 90 days, email email@example.com.
5. I am a J-1 or F-1 visa holder. I have not received my Social Security number yet. Can I still complete my Form I-9?
Yes. When you complete your Form I-9, indicate that you have applied for your Social Security number. When you receive your Social Security card, bring it to Human Resources (Baker Building, 10th floor, 110 21st Ave. S.) to complete your Form I-9.
6. I have a copy of my passport. Will that be enough documentation?
No, copies are not acceptable unless you have a "certified copy" (typically used for a birth certificate).
7. I am from out-of-state and I do not have my documents with me. What do I do?
There are two solutions:
- Go to the Social Security Administration office (see Question 10 for the address) and get a replacement receipt. Then, when you receive your Social Security card, bring it to Human Resources (Baker Building, 10th floor, 110 21st Ave. S.) to complete your Form I-9.
- Contact your home state's records office and have your documents shipped overnight to you. Please note that you must provide documentation by your third day of work; without that documentation, you are not permitted to work.
8. I need to update my I-9 either because my visa got extended, my citizenship status changed, or my name has changed. What should I do?
You can visit Human Resources (Baker Building, 10th floor, 110 21st Ave. S.). Hours are Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
9. Where is the Social Security Administration office?
There are two Social Security offices:
120 Athens Way
Nashville, TN 37228
Local Number: 1-877-808-5461
140 Cude Lane
Madison, TN 37115
Local Number: 1-866-964-6302
Also see the Social Security website.
10. Where is the Tennessee Vital Records department?
Central Services Building, 1st Floor
421 5th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37243
Local Number: (615) 741-1763
Obtain a Tennessee Birth Certificate
11. I work remotely and can't get to a Vanderbilt I-9 office to show my documentation. How can I do an I-9?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will work with an off campus site to complete your verification.