Skip to main content

Wages and Salary for Employees

International employees are entitled to compensation for services rendered.  Compensation is generally provided through wages or salary.  In addition, international employees are entitled to all benefits offered to domestic employees.

Department administrators are required to ensure all employees, including international employees, complete the I-9 in a timely fashion.  In addition, adminstrators are expected to make a timely request for GLACIER access for all international employee.  GLACIER access can be requested via ITO's online PHN & GLACIER Access Request form. 

All international employees, receiving wages, salary or other compensation for services, are required to have a Social Security Number (SSN).  Information about the SSN can be found on our SSN and ITIN webpage

International employees who do not yet have a SSN can begin working as long as their immigration status permits employment.  The International Tax Office will issue a temporary Placeholder Number (PHN) to the department for PAF and VUNet ID purposes.  To request a PHN, please complete the PHN & GLACIER Access Request form.  An international employee is required to provide the ITO with their SSN as quickly as possible, as the SSN must replace the PHN.  For additional information, please visit our SSN and ITIN webpage.  Vanderbilt University students ARE NOT issued PHNs.  Place Holder Numbers are issued for internal use ONLY.  They are not to be given to the individual to which they are assigned under any circumstance.