Leave of Absence
To learn more about the types of leaves of absence, please refer to the Non-FMLA Medical and Personal Leave of Absence policy. Your benefits may be impacted while on a Leave of Absence — particularly if it is an unpaid leave. Review the policy for more details.
Health, Dental and/or Vision Coverage
- While you are on paid leave, your insurance premiums will continue to be deducted from your paycheck.
- If you go on unpaid leave and still want to continue your health, dental and/or vision coverage, you will need to pay the premiums through COBRA direct billing.
- If you are on an unpaid leave and have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), your payroll contributions to the account will stop until you return to an active status. Upon returning to an active status, your remaining FSA election amount will be divided by the remaining number of paychecks for the calendar year. Your account remains active during an unpaid leave of absence.
- If you have the Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), it remains active during an unpaid leave of absence, though no additional accruals are made during the unpaid period.
- You cannot continue to contribute to your retirement accounts during an unpaid leave. However, your existing retirement funds will remain invested as you directed.
Accrued Time Off
- Accrued leave (sick, personal and vacation time) must be exhausted before an unpaid leave of absence can begin. Leave accruals will stop during an unpaid leave of absence.
Procedures for Unpaid Leave:
- Before going on unpaid leave (or falling into unpaid status), complete the Continuation of Benefits Form While on Unpaid Leave form.
- You will receive a bill each month, from the COBRA/Billing Office in Human Resources, to pay for the benefits you choose to continue.
You may mail or drop off your check or money order to: