Skip to Content

Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Benefits > Leaving Vanderbilt

Leaving Vanderbilt

Action Items Checklist

  1. Notify your supervisor. Exempt employees should give four weeks notice and non-exempt employees should give two weeks notice.
  2. Decide whether you want to continue your health, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Account or Health Reimbursement Account, if applicable, on a self-pay basis through COBRA. You will receive a COBRA packet from the COBRA Administrator, Benefit Express. You must complete the enrollment form and return it to Benefit Express by the deadline specified in your packet. If you do not submit a completed enrollment form by the specified date, you will lose your right to elect continued coverage.
  3. Contact your investment company (or companies) if you wish to request a distribution or rollover of your money in the Vanderbilt Retirement Plan. For details, please see "Retirement Benefits" below.
  4. If you will be moving, please notify Human Resources of your change of address. Log in to C2HR, click on Personal Profile, then Edit, and enter your updated information. You need a VUnetID and ePassword to use C2HR. If you no longer have a VUnetID, contact the Employee Service Center at or 615.343.7000.
  5. Return your Vanderbilt key(s), pagers, ID card, and any other Vanderbilt property to your departmental administrator on your last day of work.

Benefits Details

Health, Dental, Vision Coverage

  • Your health, dental and vision coverage ends on the last day of the month in which you leave Vanderbilt.
  • You may choose to continue your health, dental and/or vision coverage on a self-pay basis through COBRA for up to18 months. You have 60 days to elect COBRA coverage from the date of your COBRA-qualifying event. Initial payment is required within 45 days of election date in order for benefits to be provided under COBRA.
  • A letter of credible coverage will be mailed to health plan participants after your coverage ends.

Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

  • Your contributions to your FSAs stop with your last paycheck (unless you are eligible and elect to continue contributions to your FSA under COBRA).
  • You can submit claims for expenses that you incurred on or prior to your last day of employment.
  • Claims are due by December 31 of that calendar year. You can file claims for eligible expenses incurred while you were in an eligible employment status by the filing deadline
  • If you have a MasterCard for the Health Care Flexible Spending Account or Health Reimbursement Account, you must destroy the card and NOT use it past your termination date. You can file claims for eligible expenses incurred while you were in an eligible employment status by the filing deadline. If you use the MasterCard past your end of employment date, you are responsible to repay those charges. See the Summary Plan Description for more information.

Health Reimbursement Account

  • The Aetna HealthFund HRA, associated with the Vanderbilt Health Plan, ends when your health plan coverage ends,on the last day of the month unless you are eligible and elect to continue your health plan coverage under COBRA.
  • If you have Vanderbilt's grandfathered HRA plan that deposits $25 a month into an account for medical claims, you will have 30 days from your termination date to file claims with the Spending Account Administrator. You will be eligible to request reimbursement for eligible expenses incurred prior to your termination date. See the Summary Plan Description for more information.

Retirement Benefits

You may request a distribution or rollover of any or all of your Vanderbilt retirement funds at any time after you leave Vanderbilt or you may choose to leave your retirement funds with your investment companies.

You may contact your investment company to make an appointment to discuss the details of your account. These representatives will be able to view your account information and discuss your future distribution options with you. To make an appointment, refer to the contact information on the Retirement Plan Counseling website.

To request a distribution or rollover:

  1. Contact your investment company(ies) to request the appropriate form(s).
    • TIAA-CREF 800.842.2776 or
    • Vanguard 800.523.1188 or
    • VALIC 615.221.2541 or
    • Fidelity 800.343.0860 or
  2. Complete the form(s) and submit to Vanderbilt's Office of Benefits Administration for plan administrator approval. Be sure your form includes your spouse's notarized signature, if you are married. Spousal consent is required for all distributions, regardless of the amount.
  3. Mail the form to: Benefits Administration, PMB #407700, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37240-7700
  4. The plan administrator will approve the request and forward it within two business days to the investment company(ies). (The plan administrator will contact you if the form is incomplete).

Life Insurance

Your life insurance policy with MetLife ends on your last day of employment with Vanderbilt. If applicable, you might consider converting your Group Term Life within 30 days of your last day of employment. Contact MetLife toll-free by calling 800.GETMET8, for more information.

Accrued Leave


  • University Central employees: FlexPTO is paid out at the end of employment when the employee leaves Vanderbilt. Any accrued flexPTO will be paid following the university central employee's last day of employment generally in the last paycheck; accrued flexPTO may not be paid when employment is ended for serious misconduct under the Progressive Discipline policy. Ending employment for serious misconduct and any decision regarding payment of accrued flextPTO time will be determined by Human Resources.
  • Medical Center employees: Any unused flexPTO will be forfeited at the end of the fiscal year or upon the employee's last day of employment. If the employee has a negative balance at the end of the fiscal year or upon their last day of employment, Vanderbilt reserves the right to deduct time owed from the next year's allotment or final paycheck.

Grandfathered sick time is not paid out upon leaving Vanderbilt.

Volunteer Opportunities

Vanderbilt volunteers make a big difference every day for our patients, staff and visitors. Learn more about volunteering at Vanderbilt.