Skip to Content

Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Benefits > Benefits Overview

Benefits Overview

Download the Benefits Overview received during orientation:

Core Coverage

Core coverage benefits are those that Vanderbilt feels strongly that you should participate in and supports participation by helping to pay for these benefits.

Health Care Plan

There are three health insurance options for full-time faculty and staff

Life Insurance

Vanderbilt provides life insurance coverage for benefits-eligible faculty and staff of 1 times their salary. Supplemental coverage may be purchased as well.

Retirement Plan

The Vanderbilt Retirement Plan is a mandatory long-term investment program.

Long-Term Disability

LTDi insurance supplements your income if you become totally disabled and are unable to work for six months or longer.

Voluntary Coverage

You can enroll in voluntary benefits as they suit your needs. You pay the full cost of voluntary benefits.


Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance can be purchased in increments of $10,000.

Dental Insurance There are two dental options: dental HMO and dental PPO.

Flexible  Spending Accounts

Vanderbilt offers a health FSA and a dependent care FSA.

Short-Term Disability

Vanderbilt offers an optional short-term disability package through Unum.

Vision Plan Vanderbilt offers an optional eye care plan through Superior Vision.

Additional Benefits & Information

Health Reimbursement Account

Vanderbilt provides a health reimbursement account to eligible employees.

Group Auto & Homeowners Insurance MetLife offers Vanderbilt employees a discount on auto and home insurance. Contact MetLife for more information at 800.GETMET8.
Benefits Information for Hiring Managers (or, "what your new staff members learn at NSO") Click the link at left to get information about the Benefits Administration portion of New Staff Orientation.
Open Enrollment

Open Enrollment typically occurs each fall.

Pet Insurance Pet insurance is offered through Veterinary Pet Insurance.
Tuition Benefit

Vanderbilt provides a comprehensive tuition benefit for employees, spouses and dependent children.

Summary Annual Reports

Any employee benefit plan must furnish annually to each participant of such plan and to each beneficiary receiving benefits under the plan, a summary annual report conforming to the requirements set forth in Sec 2520.104b-1 in the Codes of Federal Regulations Pertaining to EBSA.

Note: Benefits does not accept faxed forms. The best way to submit your completed forms is to deliver them in person to HR Express, 2525 West End Avenue on the second floor. You may also mail forms to the address at the bottom of the form.