Timeline: Complications Prior to Birth of a Child
For the Birth Mother
This timeline shows the types of paid leaves a mother can use if she has complications prior to the birth of a child. This example shows a mother with the buy-up option for short-term disability, and with accrued grandfathered sick time. Please note:
- You can only use one type of leave at a time.
- You need to have accrued time in your bank to use PTO or grandfathered sick time
- If you are not enrolled in the buy-up option for short-term disability, you must exhaust your grandfathered sick accrual balance before you can begin short-term disability.
- Parental Leave cannot be used before the birth of a child.
Duration of parental leave and short-term disability:
- Vanderbilt's parental leave policy provides up to two weeks of paid leave to the eligible parent serving as the primary caregiver following the birth or adoption of a child.
- In the timeline above, the four weeks of short-term disability prior to the birth of the child are for demonstrative purposes only. A mother may qualify for short-term disability earlier or later than this example shows.