FMLA/TMLA: Complications Prior to Birth of Child
The following resources will help you move through the FMLA/Tennessee Maternity Leave Act (TMLA) process for complications prior to birth of a child. If you have questions about the FMLA process, contact your FMLA Coordinator at 343-4125 or email email@example.com.
Step 1: FMLA Request and Receive Eligibility Determination
You may complete the online Medical Leave Request Form to request FMLA for complications due to pregnancy for you or your spouse.
- If you have already applied for "Birth of Child" you still need to request leave for complications.
Step 2: Complete Medical Certification Form
The FMLA Coordinator will provide this form upon submission of your FMLA request and eligibility determination. This form must be submitted to Human Resources.
Step 3: FMLA/TMLA Approval or Denial
The FMLA Coordinator will provide your leave approval letter and additional materials upon completion of steps 1 and 2 above.
- If you have already applied for "Birth of Child" your FMLA Coordinator will send a revised approval letter that includes both the complications prior to birth and the leave for the birth of your child.
If you are a privileged provider or hold clinical privileges, you must notify Provider Support Services (PSS) of your FMLA approval. Once you receive your approval letter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and dates of absence.
Step 4: While on FMLA
- Benefits Information While on Leave (also see FAQs about benefits while on leave)
- FAQ-Birth or Adoption
- Child and Family Center resources
Pay While on Leave
- PTO Policy and FAQs
- Parental Leave Policy and FAQs
- Short-term disability webpage and FAQs
- Grandfathered Sick Time Policy
Sample Timeline for Paid Leave