Skip to main content

My Spouse’s Coverage Changes

If your spouse gains or loses health, dental and/or vision coverage, or his/her employer's coverage changes significantly during its company's Open Enrollment period, you may want to adjust your benefit elections.


To change your coverage for yourself or your spouse, make a Family Status Change Request within 30 days after the date that the coverage change occurs. Requests cannot be made prior to the date of the change.


You must provide supporting documentation to make changes to your coverage.

Examples of Qualifying Events Actions You Might Want to Take
Your spouse loses his/her job Add spouse to your coverage
Your spouse gets a new job Drop spouse from your coverage
Your spouse gets a new job Waive your coverage
Your spouse has Open Enrollment at his/her employer Add or drop spouse from Vanderbilt's Benefits

For more information on Qualifying Events, refer to the Summary Plan Description (SPD) for the plan in which you are enrolled. You can find the SPDs here.

Note: Vanderbilt University reserves the right to audit eligibility and may require copies of any legal papers issued to establish a person as your spouse or child. Attempting to insure someone who is not eligible may result in disciplinary action, up to and including ending employment.