Skip to main content

Death of a Covered Dependent

If your spouse or child passes away, notify Human Resources to make appropriate changes to your employee record and to your benefits.


Action Items Checklist:

Notify Human Resources to change marital and tax withholding status (if applicable).
  Submit the Personal Information Change Form with a revised W-4 Form. Forms can be mailed to: HR Processing, PMB #407718, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37240-7718. (Changes to your W-4 cannot be made online in C2HR, by email or by fax. The IRS requires an original signature to make this change.) See Change to Records for more information.
Make changes to benefits within 30 days of your dependents's death:

Health, Dental, Vision and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Coverage

  • Declaring a Life Change in My VU Benefits.
  • Enter the date following the day of death as the effective date of the event to ensure all applicable claims are paid appropriately. For instance, if your dependent died on March 1, you would enter March 2, since this will be the first date he or she would not be covered on the insurance plans.
  • See How to Make a Family Status Change for more information.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

Retirement Benefits

  • Contact your investment company to change your beneficiary designation and update your marital status, if applicable.

Life Insurance

  • Contact Human Resources to begin the life insurance claim, if your deceased was eligible for life insurance.
  • Update your beneficiary information, if needed, in My VU Benefits.