Skip to Content

Human Resources

Human Resources
Are you a VUMC employee? Visit the VUMC HR website »

Home > International Tax > Resident Alien for Tax Purposes

Resident Alien for Tax Purposes

Last Modified: 2016-09-01

You are a Resident Alien for Tax Purposesso you will receive a W-2. We do not do tax filings on behalf of employees but there are a number of free or low cost tax assistance preparation sites throughout Nashville and in the Vanderbilt area.



  • If you have a household income of less than $60,000, you qualify to get your taxes done for free at a VITA site. Trained VITA volunteers will prepare your taxes and e-file them but please note, VITA staff may or may not be experts on international tax issues.


  • In addition, if your adjusted gross income is less than $60,000.00 you can use the IRS free tax software. It’s called Free File and is available on the IRS website at .