Skip to main content

Unemployment Insurance Fraud Support

Fraudulent unemployment insurance claims have become increasingly prevalent during the COVD-19 pandemic. Vanderbilt University has not been exempt from receiving such claims. When a fraudulent unemployment insurance claim is filled using a Vanderbilt University employee’s information, the University will report the claim as fraudulent after verifying with the employee that they did not file the claim. Vanderbilt University remains committed to preventing fraud and providing resources to those impacted by this fraud.

What should I do if I am a victim of unemployment insurance fraud or have received a 1099-G with unemployment compensation that I did not collect?

Step 1:

Report the suspected fraud to the TN Department of Labor & Workforce Development.

  1. Send a detailed email to including the last 4 digits of your social security number (remember to never email your full social security number) and state you are a victim of identity theft. If you received a 1099-G due to fraud, request a revised 1099-G. A response email will provide you with a reference ticket number.
  2. If you prefer to call, you can do so by dialing (615) 206-3116 or (844) 224-5818 (please be aware that leaving a message does not activate a reference ticket number. For the Recovery Unit, call 844-817-0619. Claimants should press 2 to report the fraudulent payment.

Step 2:

Visit the federal government’s identity theft website: Here, you can report identity theft, create a recovery plan and put your plan into action. Follow the link in the top right corner of the page for helpful information regarding Unemployment Insurance Identity Theft (also listed in Step 4 below).

Step 3:

Notify the Vanderbilt Human Resources Department if you have not yet been contacted by the University. The Office of Human Resources is typically made aware of claims through the University’s unemployment vendor, Corporate Cost Control and would notify you directly; however, if you have not been notified, please contact Janet Smith, Administrative Manager of Human Resources at

Step 4:

Contact the three major credit reporting agencies and file for either a credit freeze or a fraud alert. Visit for direct links to the credit reporting agencies and for explanations of credit freezes and fraud alerts. You can review your credit report for free at

Step 5:

Ensure you are using Vanderbilt’s virtual private network (VPN) configured with multi-factor authentication (MFA).

Additional recommended actions:

    1. Report the suspected fraud to your local police department.
    2. Check your Social Security Statement for additional wages added to your account. Go to or sign-up for a my Social Security account at
    3. Consider opting into the IRS Identity Protection PIN Program that helps prevent federal tax return theft. (
    4. Partner with your tax advisor to determine if you should file an Identity Theft Affidavit (IRS Form 14039)
    5. Reach out to your bank and credit card companies.
    6. File a complaint with the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
    7. File a complaint with the National Center for Disaster Fraud (use this link:

Please note there is no evidence that Vanderbilt University employee data has been breached.

If you have documentation that needs notarized, please see this list of campus Notaries Publics here.

Employees wishing to seek counsel for mental and emotional wellbeing can contact Vanderbilt’s Work/Life Connections – EAP  

For additional resources and assistance, please contact your HR Consultant